Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ah the familiar sound of raindrops on the roof.

Wait a minute! Aren't I in Western Alaska in January!?!? It rained today. I mean, it really, seriously, Washington style rained today. Last weekend is was -30 degrees F during the day, and now it's 35 and raining. Something in me wants to scream out, "GLOBAL WARMING!! GLOBAL WARMING!!!" but who knows. The weather on Bering Sea does what it wants, apparently. One of the local guys took me fishing again, but we had to leave early. It was so warm that the ocean started to overflow at high tide into the Shaktoolik River:



Even though we left early, "we still had to 'skim' through part of the river. This involved going really fast with me in the sled, which was actually a strange combination of fun/scary:



We still had a good catch though. I've got some trout chowder on the stove right now, after a little work on the kitchen floor:



And alas, the last exciting thing to happen this week-with a direct quote from the school custodian:



"Hi Jesse. Your house flood. Okay, see you later."

The school custodians actually did a very nice job of cleaning up my house after a pipe broke. Water had gushed in from one of the walls, totally filling up the kitchen, bathroom, and half of the living room with water. The water is all gone and my pipes are fixed, so there's no sweat off of my back! The floor even has a nice "roll" to it now.

No comments: