Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fire lights up fine at -25


I have been at the school WAYYYYY too much for the past week I've been back, so I took a little walk today out to the dump. About 1.5 miles outside of town, it's a happy jaunt to the burning landfill. Some people think I'm crazy that I walk my garbage down to the dump, but I just like to not rely on snowmachines or 4-wheelers every once and a while.

Coming back from the dump, I decided to take a side trip out on the sea ice. I've asked several of the locals how far I can walk out into the frozen Bering Sea and still be safe, and so far they've all replied "Go find out!" I think it's supposed to be a joke...but I ventured 200 yards or so out into the sea ice anyways. I know that it's only waist deep water for hundreds, possibly thousands of yards, so I felt pretty safe. I ended up turning around when I stopped to look out at the bizarre landscape in front of me and felt the chunk of ice I was on move a little bit. I looked around and I could see ALL of the sea ice moving very slowly, gently rocking back and forth by the tide. This really freaked me out and I booked it back to the shore!



One cool thing about hanging out in -25 degree weather is the frosty look you get after about a half hour. The ice crystals on my eyelashes felt sooooo heavy after a while. I can't imagine being out in this weather all day, after about an hour I felt ready to go back inside!

No comments: