Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Bering Sea blows a wicked wind

Just recovered from my first Alaskan sickness today. I picked crannberries for 4 hours during a rainy, blustery storm on Sunday. I figured, "Sweet, no bugs today!" because the last time I went berry-picking I had gnats suiciding into my eyes. It turns out that 45 degree rain and wind is actually WORSE for you than bugs, as I caught a debilitating cold/sore throat kind of a thing.



I went to school on Monday anyways. When the other teachers asked why I was coming to school sicker than a dog, I said, "I knew it would be more work planning for the substitute, so I just came in to make it easier." The other teachers grinned and looked at each other. "He learns FAST." The high school english teacher even used my predicament as an example during her lesson on irony:

Jess went cranberry picking to make juice that would keep him from getting sick, and while doing so he caught a cold.

On a happier note--I found some old pictures! Here's me diving into the Bering Sea after the other teachers and some students "triple dog dared" me.



And of course, my first salmon, and the 3rd fish I've ever caught in my entire life! A lot of very jealous fisherman are not going to like this picture...



And she was delicious! Nothing like a fresh silver or "coho" salmon. Jake the science teacher/fisherman extraodinare smoked her out that night.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

That picture of you is hilarious!!! I mean I know that you were sick and that stinks but now I know why the teacher who took it was laughing :-) Your salmon is a keeper for sure! I have wanted to go fishing for the longest time!!! I used to go all the time when I was younger, but as I have gotten older there is no time or no one to go with :-(