Sunday, September 30, 2007

Skype to the rescue!

According to the tech person at my school, all of the long distance phone capabilities of rural Alaska are down! Fortunately, the magic of the internet phone service "Skype" has allowed me to call everybody back home in Washington. I feel weird just talking at my laptop, but it works pretty darn well! And only 9 bucks for unlimited (well, 7 hours a day) calling to anywhere in the U.S. for 3 months. Total score!

Well, I have to leave for NACTEC tomorrow and I'll be gone in Nome for 4 days. NACTEC is kind of a career/life skills camp for middle school and high school students, and I am taking our middle schoolers there to learn about different jobs. Plus, we get to swim in a heated pool! Planning for the substitute is taking quite a while though...


Here's a picture of me with my new laptop! Warhol-ish.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Hello Jess:

So it's getting a bit nippy up North huh? Is there anything that you need and don't have? We will do our best to fill your need. Uncle Jim and I have been saving broth drippings in the freezer, so now we have a huge pot of "Everything-under-the-sun-soup", on the stove. It hits the spot on these COOL NIGHTS.

It sounds like your laptop will be your saving grace- wow $9.00 for 3 months unlimited. Our landline here to call Oregon is more than that. And that is just across the Columbia river.
I am not a tech--eeeee person at all. We haven't even a cell phone. Actually, sometimes it would sure come in handy though.
Hey, some very interesting food your learning to cook.Get creative, maybe you can show them a few tricks.
Signing off for now, Take Care- Jim and Helen