Thursday, October 4, 2007

First Snow at NACTEC

Let me first say that you can see LOTS of pictures and information about our trip to NACTEC at:

http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/KTS08_Jr._High_Nactec_Session

The links for "presenters," "events," and "life skills" have some cool pictures of what students did. NACTEC is the Northwest Alaska Center for Technology, Education, and Careers in Nome, and it ended for my middle school students and I yesterday. All 5 of them were disappointed to leave behind the new friends they met from other villages, but they are happy to be home!

Before we left though, I had to leave sub-plans for 4 days, so I actually had to clean my desk. It turns out I left too much work for my 9/10 math class and not enough work for my 5/6 math class. Dang!



We left at 8:30 in the morning via the Bering Strait School District plane. It's an ex-military plane that's very rare because it has two jet engines for it's small size, allowing it to make extremely good time compared to the local air carriers. We have one school bus in the district, and THIS is it:



It started snowing the morning before we left and even though it didn't stick, you can still see the "termination dust" on the mountaintops around the town. Check it:





The second picture was taken as we were leaving later that afternoon. Here's all of us from Shaktoolik, Brevig Mission, and White Mountain:



I made sure to stop by the store before I left town in Nome. Notice they sell ATV's next to the claw machine. I couldn't help but ponder about a giant claw machine where you win ATV's as prizes...



When we got home to Shaktoolik, there was no snow, but the next morning it rolled on in! At 25 degrees this morning, I'm looking forward to when this feels "warm."



Plus, big thank you's and XOXOXOXOXOs to everybody who sent me packages. The postmaster was getting on my case!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We homeschool..If you would like some pen friends let me know..my kiddos would love it...

littleal said...

Wow! Your blog is so amazing. I am a young preservice teacher in Indiana, I am a senior and am going to be student teaching next semester. I have been looking into teaching in Alaska and your blog has been very informative.

Anonymous said...

Jess,
I'm trying to help Paula with looking at your blog. We both have enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures. Please let me know if there is any thing special you're in need of or that you might like to have from Texas.
Merrie

Sue said...

Jess,
Jackie told me about your blog but this is the first time I really had a chance to look at it. You are doing such a great job of recording your experience as a teacher in a small Alaskan town (and what an experience it is). This is something you will look back on and realize what a wonderful time it was! Enjoy everything!

And thanks for helping in the library back in June!
Sue

Sue said...

Me again . . . I hope you don't mind but I would love to share your blog with Lakeridge staff! I think they would enjoy reading about your experience in Alaska.
Sue