Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The only pumpkin in Shak-town



I'm really glad my friend Jackie sent me a pumpkin (among many other things) for my birthday. We laughed when she said, "Do you know how much that pumpkin cost me? A DOLLAR!" The store in town didn't order any pumpkins this year, so it was the ONLY real jack-o-lantern here in Shaktoolik on Halloween night. I sat in my living room with my fellow teachers and principal, ready to hand out treats to all of the kids in Shaktoolik. I even got our "arctic room" all festived-out with:

-"Junior," the official (only) 2007 jack-o-lantern for Shaktoolik
-a spooky sounds cd (track 6: chainsaw buzzing with wailing screams, is my personal favorite)
-orange lights (I found them in the school basement)



The only difference in Halloween here from Washington is that the kids don't say, "Trick-or-Treat." Instead, they come inside and won't leave until you guess who they are. Considering that they won't talk, 90% of them wore masks, and 100% of them have brown eyes, it took me a while to guess some of them!









EVERY KID under 20 in the village goes trick-or-treating, so we probably saw about 50 kids over the course of a few hours. The principal, Linda, lives above the school so she hung out at my house and gave out the fabled "full" size candy bars. None of that "fun" size that's actually smaller nonsense. My mom sent up some fun "gummi" fangs that you can't get at the store, and they were a real hit too! Here's our preparation:



I found an ugly pirate mask in a dark corner of the school basement, and had fun scaring the kids through the window:



It feels good to have a Shaktoolik Halloween that's so similar to back home. I've never handed out candy before because we lived on the highway, but it was a lot of fun and believe me, I feel just as sick as I would during any other Halloween. The candy bowl is just so full and sitting right in front of you....Happy Halloween everyone!



Alas, but now "Junior" is all boiled up now for pie. Mmmmm, pie.

4 comments:

Travis Volk Photography said...

I need to write you an email. I just wanted to say, that I didn't forget you called. I miss you, every time I have a beer or want to golf I think about you man. Once conferences are over, I am sending a novel of an email.

Nobody wants to go frisbee golf anymore.

Sue said...

The kids are cute in their costumes. They probably came inside to warm themselves up while you were guessing who they were! Smart kids! Love Junior's toothy grin! Glad you had a fun Halloween! Brings back memories of my Alaskan Halloween! Cracked costume and all(from the below zero temperatures).

John & Sarah Wilson said...

looks like a helluva lot of fun man, I am glad you had a good old style Halloween. Well old to us anyways. Man every Halloween I remember when you and me dressed up as little kids and went trick or treating, that was awesome... Yes, I am 6! Now give me some candy!

Jackie said...

Hahaha my mom beat me to the comment....we were looking at your blog before Dad gave us the boot!! I am happy that you enjoyed the pumpkin & scary sound cd!! Your Halloween looked amazing!! The kids in there costumes is the best part...Oh and you in that mask is pretty funny too!! Im sure everyone wears masks just to keep warm! My favorite costume award has to go to spiderman...I giggle everytime I look at him CUTE!!! Well ttyl!