Monday, November 5, 2007

Ice Fishing Expedition



My new roomate Rob and I had the pleasure of ice-fishing on the mighty Shaktoolik River yesterday. The weather was absolutely pristine. A crisp 30 degrees with a bright sun shining down on us. Calvin, one of the local guys, put us in his freight sled and towed us 3 miles across the bumpy tundra to "Jinkluok." Jinkluok is a deep spot of the Shaktoolik River where the trout feast on salmon roe. Calvin cut us some fishing holes and "chummed" one of the holes with some bait to attract the fish. He told us the ice was good, but it didn't look very thick to me! I don't know much about these kinds of thing yet.



We must have caught 30-40 trout EACH over the course of 2 hours, most of them 8-10 inches, but there were a couple good sized ones at about 14 inches! I felt like it was a fish factory--the fish would literally hook on after two or three "jigs" of the line. The fact that your fishing rod also serves as your club makes it very functional! Here I am pulling another one in.



After 2 hours of gutting we took a little break--here's a Wii boxing match of Tyler vs Rob the Roomate. Fierce!



One more picture--the beach along the ocean. The water is starting to get the consistency of a slush puppy, which makes for really bizarre waves.



Tomorrow I am off to the big wrestling invitation in Unalakleet. The Shaktoolik Wrestlers are pumped and ready for action! Then I'm off to Nome for a Safe Schools training program for the weekend. How did I ever think I would be bored up here?!?!?!

1 comment:

Travis Volk Photography said...

I like the slim fit camo gear.