Friday, November 16, 2007

Beautiful Day for a Polar Plunge



Stunning day today; the hoarfrost clung to anything exposed to the fierce arctic atmosphere. The still air allowed the frost to grow collections of crystals over the landscape.



Zero degrees in the early afternoon. This is the coldest weather I've felt before In my entire life, so I figured it was a good day to take a little dip in the ocean! I told my wrestlers that if they placed 1st or 2nd in the wrestling tournament I would take a "polar plunge" for them the next week. If I would have jumped in the water on Monday it would have been a balmy 32 degrees with no frozen water. It was a different story today....



Brrrrrrrr. Forutunatly, I was able to warm myself up a little before I left the school. I did a little research on "anticipatory thermogenesis" and I could feel my body temperature rising before I left the school. I basically imagined myself in a blazing inferno eating 7 alarm hot wings and chugging hot sauce. By the time I jumped into the Bering Sea I didn't even really feel the cold.



Unfortunatly, there was no water! There was about an inch of ice over a foot of water in the deepest portion of the sand bar. I turned around after I hit more sand and headed back to the shore.



Considering that it was still zero degrees outside, I was ready to dunk and get this thing done with! I ran back to the deep part, threw some ice out of the hole, and did a push-up into the water.



Again, I didn't even really feel the cold water. I was so focused that it seemed "apart" from me or something. I ran back to the shore where all of the students were waiting and toweled off very quickly. I threw a blanket over my head when one of the parents was nice enough to drive me the 200 feet to my house. I had started my shower a few minutes before the jump, so it was all warmed up for me. To be honest, my feet have never been colder, but I could move them easily after a few moments in the shower. I have a few scratches from the ice, but otherwise I feel great! I was told that students were all grinning ear to ear as I dunked myself in the frozen sea.