Saturday, August 4, 2007

Goodbye Washington, Hello Anchorage!

After a thrilling 8-day motorcycle ride to Eureka, California, I feel like I got in enough biking to last me through the Alaskan winter. The wickedly windy roads of Oregon and northern California treated us well and and with favorable weather I camped nearly every day. The redwoods were truly majestic and I loved riding through those twisty forest roads. My last week with everyone FLEW by, but I feel like I got to say all of my goodbyes. The scavenged, hand-me-down winter gear is shipped and I leave tonight. I'm very lucky because my aunt's best friend in Anchorage has agreed to put me up for a few days and drive me around.

The airline tickets are printed and I'm just putting the finishing touches on my huge shopping list. I've never purchased such a massive quantity of food, but I've heard the stores in Anchorage are well suited to meet the needs of bush teachers. They even have a "bush department" where you give them your shopping cart full of food and they pack it, then ship it right to your door! I've attached the shopping list to the blog. I'll have to work some numbers a little more because 180 cups of flour seems like a lot! Or does it seem like not enough? Hmmm......

No comments: