Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hi from Unalakleet

Training is going great here at the BSSD headquarters in Unalakleet. It's been a very full 5 days since I left Washington. In Anchorage I stayed with Laura and her family, and they were totally awesome! They took me to see the wild moose that lives in their backyard (he is HUGE), and they shuffled me around Anchorage to do all of my errands. After spending 600 dollars at Fred Meyer, I left on Monday morning for Shaktoolik.

The flight from Anchorage to Nome was spectacular! The glaciers and mountains were truly majestic. I met up with some fellow BSSD teachers in Nome and the wonderful Sandy of Koyuk gave me a tour. I got my last burger at Fat Freddie's in Nome and took off for "Shak," my home village.

I was so nervous upon pulling into Shaktoolik that I didn't even notice how the airplane seemed like it was rattling apart. I was more concerned with how I would be greeted and accepted by the local people.

8 comments:

Dave said...

We're all very excited for you! It sounds like an exciting beginning. Big Al and family (including Mom)

Unknown said...

Hi Jess:

How about some pictures?

Unknown said...

Tell what that taught you for a whole week as a new teacher? Did they teach any Alaska related general knowledge? (like when NOT to go outside)?

Laurie FW said...

We were thrilled to read your blog and email, how are things going for you so far? Laura Hillary told us about a bad bear mauling right before you arrived! Scary! Please post more very soon, we want to know what you think so far?

Paula is busily telling all her friends and relatives that you are teaching school in Alaska! She thinks it is a fantastic thing for you to do. You are her first grandchild to get a real job and go to work and she is very proud of you! It is a great job that will help society and the world, too. Paula is thrilled to hear you are teaching reading, her favorite subject. She has a master's degree in reading and has taught it for more than 20 years. Don't make her mistakes, ask for help from the other teachers when you need it. Good luck! (From Paula, too)

paula the artist said...

We signed up Paula, too! She will make some more comments later, she is still recovering from surgery, good luck from us both!

John & Sarah Wilson said...

Hey man, sounds like things are going good! Sarah and I are glad you havent been eaten by a moose yet. Keep posting!

Nicky said...

Hi Jess~ Glad to hear you made it safe, and you're not fighting the local women off with a stick=) Yet! haha. Your shopping list was CRAZY!! Keep up the blog, it is so much more interesting then the Orting move and job=) We are so proud of you!! Keep in touch, and have fun setting up your classroom. Nicky P.S. So wish I could have done the motorcycle run, looks like it was wonderful. Until next time.

Unknown said...

Hey Jess,
It has been interesting reading your blog. I am glad that you flight was safe, it was a long distance to travel from home. Keep us updated with your teaching stories. I am sure you will have a wonderful time teaching, your students will be lucky to have your as their teacher.:) Oksana