Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bear mauling in Shaktoolik

Back in Buckley, WA my dad made sure that I knew how to kill a bear with a knife because I didn't bring a gun to Alaska. He even did the motions right there in the living room and grabbed a steak knife to use as a prop! Of course, then I get here and find out that you can shoot a grizzly in the heart with a .308 and it can live for hours afterwards. Thanks for the advice dad, but I think I'm going to hang out with people who carry huge rifles when I go out into the wilderness.

This happened a few weeks ago, but Sean, the guy who was mauled, is still in the hospital and it's a big concern for the village. I included the news articles under my "links" section.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Hahaha I love the story about your Dad :-D Just remember that him hopping around the kitchen with a steak knife is all because he cares! I cannot believe that story about the bear SCARY!! So is the bear still out there? Are they going to hunt it down and kill it because it now has a taste for people? Hanging out with friends with guns is a GREAT idea, stay safe!

Oh by the way I have almost everything for your package so I should get it out this week if one last item arrives in the mail, I will let you know! You're gonna love it! TTYL

John & Sarah Wilson said...

Jess guns kill people. I can't believe you are fratenizing with gun-owners. All for your own safety Jess. C'mon SOLIDARITY!!! Well ok that is a pretty good idea. I am sure Joe knows how to kill a bear with a knife, probably from experience right? I mean he was in the marines...