Monday, August 20, 2007

Woohoo! Done with the first day of teaching!

Wow, that's quite a relief. I met all but 2 of my students during my first day of teaching and I got all of my pre-teaching jitters out. I spent each period talking about our class rules while having them work through different classroom procedures with me, and there weren't any behavior issues at all! I also shared stories about eating disgusting halibut tacos for breakfast because of my brother Riley and the time my friend John put the wrong type of detergent in the dishwasher. I'm going to use a lot of stories from Washington in my teaching to let the students get to know me, and to (hopefully) keep me from getting homesick. I'll stop talking about the first day though, because I know all of my teacher friends back in Washington are thinking, "Shut up! I don't start for 2 weeks!" Muwhahahahaha!

Time to start the real planning though, all the math those students can handle. YES! Here's the pictures I took from Anchorage. My box came today! Woo!

Frontier-style shopping. Notice how I'm acting like the cart is a deer.





















Close up of $600 worth of food and supplies. Only $140 shipping for over 250 lbs.



A very beautiful bull moose hanging out in somebody's backyard. I was about 10 feet away when I took the picture. Wooh!


A cow moose with twin calves! Hanging out along the highway of Eagle River, just outside of Anchorage.


Glaciers and mountains during the flight to Nome.


My last view of Mt. Rainier for a while.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Hey Jess I love your blog but the problem is that I miss you!! Seriously I wish life wasn't so busy for the both of us before you left because I REALLY wanted to hang out more....WAY MORE!!! I am so excited for you, this job seems like it will be an amazing experience! I will have to come and visit for sure ;) I will be getting busy like you in a month because I am finally starting the COHORT YAY :-D I am definatley ready to get this show on the road...I know it will fly by and be over before I know it. Im sure so will your year in AK!

I love your place it looks like a bachelor pad! I will have to send you some things to make it feel more like home/Washington! Speaking of which I need your address so just email it to me at jkrezelak@yahoo.com or jkrezelak@greenriver.edu because I want to send you a care package because I care :-) So anywho I hope you can make it home for the holidays but the snow will make it awful tricky!! If you do come then I would love to see you! Well I will keep checking the blog to keep tabs on you lol! I may even start my own because it seems really cool!

XOXOXOXO

Helen said...

Hello Jess:
I hope your feeling better. This is a nice blog and I love the pictures you've posted on this site. So there are actually trees there? Or was it around Anchorage where the moose were hanging out amongst the Pine trees and brush? Have a good day!