Sunday, February 24, 2008

ASTE Part 1

I've been in Anchorage for 2 days at the Alaska Technology in Education conference (ASTE) and I'm having a blast! I learned an insane amount of information about networking systems (I know what TCP/IP means now, for example). I saw them unloading the straw for the Iditarod before I left:



I could have gotten a haircut in Anchorage, but then I thought, "Why not just cut it yourself before you leave the village?" Man I have some stellar ideas sometimes.



Our hotel, the Captain Cook, is realllllly posh. I feel like I'm in New York! It's interesting how nobody every talks about some parts of Alaska though. Nobody tells you that the bay in Anchorage is filled with nasty, brown ice. Here's our view from the 15th floor:



The Fur Rendezvous sled dog race was taking place in Anchorage this weekend, too. We took off from the conference right away during lunch to take a quick peek. It's kind of like a precursor, 25 mile sprint compared to the Iditarod. It was cool to watch the current World Champions take off 10 feet away down 4th Avenue. The racers have to hold back the dogs with snowmachines because they're so pumped up to race.



They also had a "running of the reindeer" with a bunch of crazy Anchorage people. I would have totally jumped in if they hadn't reached their maximum allotment of people. Reindeer aren't too scary though, they're not as big as you'd think. Nobody got gored or trampled, so it was pretty safe. Jokingly, the radio show deejay announced, "In the event that the reindeer break loose, I need the biggest, baddest Alaskan man to start fighting the person next to them. Then we'll have some REAL chaos!" Alaskans have a strange sense of humor...



The Fur Rendezvous brings out some cool characters though. I reckon I'll never see this many fur hats and coats again. I don't think anyone from PETA was there....they don't have enough paint in Anchorage to cover this much fur! Some people were really decked out, like this guy:



Time moved fast and we had to head back to the Captain Cook for more technology sessions! Nick and Diana's little cousin were ready to stay out there all day! Notice: Nick is rocking the "Alaskan Man" look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.