Thursday, February 28, 2008

ASTE Part 2

Been sleeping a lot since I got back from ASTE in Anchorage. Our plane had a malfunction on Wednesday morning, so we had to wait for the 5pm flight to Kotzebue, which made us miss our connecting flight in Nome. I was excited to go to "Kotz," but all of the experienced teachers were groaning. Now I know why! After leaving Anchorage at 5 pm, we didn't get to Nome until about 11pm. I didn't get to leave the plane in Kotzebue, but it feels cool having been in the Arctic circle. The only place with rooms in Nome was the "Nugget," and there was a reason for it! Tiny rooms that smelled funny and sharing beds with other teachers, woohoo!



The flight back was spectacular though. I remembered to bring my camera and I took some stunning photos of the sea ice in the Norton Sound.





With all of the variety in the sea ice, I can see why the Inupiaq have over 40 words for "ice." Or maybe it was 200 words. I don't know, but there are a lot! The Egavavik River, south of Shaktoolik, frozen solid:



And here's Shaktoolik in late February. Too bad the wing was in the way!

No comments: