Sunday, February 3, 2008

Middle School Basketball = NO THANKS!

I don't know what it is about basketball, but I just can't get into it. I can see why people love football or soccer (I prefer tennis myself), and even baseball has its charms, but basketball just doesn't do it for me. I was the middle school basketball chaperone at the tournament this weekend in Unalakleet (I also acted as coach during the games) and it doesn't float my ship, so to speak. I've been around middle schoolers 24/7 for almost 3 days. It certainly is a special time in a child's life...let's just say I'm ready for the Super Bowl.

We had some fun on the way to the tournament though. We flew on the little 7-seater plane to Unalakleet, and I could tell the pilot was in a jovial mood. Two of his buddies were on the flight also, and he grinned a mischevious smile when he saw myself and three little eskimo children board the plane. Of course, they're not that little, they're the perfect age. The perfect age for messing with while you're mid-air!! Halfway through the flight, he looked back at us, grinning ear to ear, and kicked the plane into a steep climb. I immediately felt a huge force pulling me to the clouds, and I could hear the gasps from my surprised students! I felt the g's in my stomach as we continued climbing, but he stopped the climb and put us into a steep bank until we leveled out. The looks on the kids' faces were priceless. After one-wheeling it in for the landing, he told me that if we had been over 3000 feet he would have done a loop-de-loop. I think he was kidding, but you can't tell with these bush pilots! They come from a different breed.

No comments: