Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Northern Lights, I search tonight

So I asked Jake today when I am finally going to see some of those famous Northern Lights (I have been checking almost every day after dark) and he says to me, "Man last night they were awesome. You had to be up pretty late though, around 11 pm." ARGH! I was making burritos until one of the morning and I didn't think to just poke my head out the window. I need those burritos for lunch this week though...

I've been online, and here are my little digital camera settings for Northern Lights pictures:

* RAW mode
* Daylight White Balance
* ISO 400
* F/4.0, 30-40 seconds or F/2.8, 15-20 seconds
* Histogram enabled
* Low LCD brightness

I don't know what a few of those mean, but I imagine they aren't important (yeah right). I've had people in town tell me that it is dang near impossible to get a decent shot of the northern lights, but I am doing more than just point-and-click. I know I can set my exposure to 4 seconds with an ISO of 400 with the daylight white balance, so we'll see if that will be enough.

Hopefully you see some cool pictures up here soon!

Errrr....none yet, at 3 am last night there was a very faint, white shimmer of light in the sky. It basically looked like a stretched-out, hazy cloud. The sunset was beautiful though...



And I forgot to mention that we had math night last week. It went really well, with about half of the students showing up with family members. We had snacks, gave out prizes, and played some fun math games!

1 comment:

Miss Heidi said...

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

This has the forecast